What are the signs of aging and how does it happen?
Aging as we all know is a natural process. As our age advances, skin cells renew or divide slower than before and the middle layer of skin becomes thinner. This layer of skin is composed of collagen (responsible for skin firmness) and elastin (responsible for skin elasticity and rebound) network, that is support system of the skin. This support system gives the skin its elasticity and youth. Also, the Glycosaminoglycans (GAGs), which keep the skin hydrated become less abundant. As we age this network loosens and weakens. Aging skin is also able to retain less moisture, heals and repairs slowly and starts secreting less oil. All these changes reflect on skin externally as signs of aging described below:
- Age spots
- Dull and dehydrated skin
- Lack of skin lustre
- Uneven texture
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Skin sagging
What are the factors which accelerate skin aging?
Following factors accelerate skin’s aging process:
- Not following a healthy skin care routine.
- Unhealthy diet and lack of exercise
- Smoking and drinking
- Being too thin or overweight
- Inadequate sleep
What are the treatments available for aging skin?
There is no getting around the aging process, as we cannot stop it, but variety of treatments are available which can slow down the process and help us age gracefully. Following treatment modalities are available at Dr.Kothiwala’sSkinEva Clinic, which can help you look best for your age:
- Medical treatment:Your doctor after examining your skin, may prescribe one of the following singly or in combination to alleviate the signs of aging:
- A broad-spectrum sunscreen: This is the most underrated, but most important Antiaging solution. Aging process becomes faster if skin is not protected by sun’s UV rays. It’s a must to wear a sunscreen daily.
- Topical retinoids: Retinoids are derivatives of Vitamin-A. They work by accelerating the process of skin exfoliation and promoting the production of new cells in skin. This results in smooth and evenly pigmented skin.
- Topical antioxidants: Vitamins like VitaminA, C and E, vitamin B-3 (niacin), Coenzyme Q10 andBeta carotenes, protect the skin from aging. They are antioxidants and they act as free radicle scavengers and save the skin from free radical injury.
- Collagen supplements: As collagen builds the structure of the skin, collagen supplements help to keep taught and firm.
- Peptides: These are naturally occurring molecules which stimulate collagen production.
- AHA’s and BHA,s (Alpha hydroxy and beta hydroxy acids):These are fruit acids, like citric acid glycolic acid (AHA,s) and like salicylic acid derived by willow bark (BHA’s), act as peeling agents, and remove dead skin cells and improve skin’s elasticity and texture.
- Tea tree and grape seed extract: These have powerful anti-inflammatory properties and antioxidant properties and are often added in anti-aging creams.
- Chemical Peeling: Chemical peeling is a treatment that increases the skin cell turnover, removing the outer layers of dead, dull, blemished and wrinkled skin to reveal underlying fresher and younger looking skin. It can be performed on face, neck, chest, back, hands and even arm and legs.
Peels effectively work on the following conditions:
- Various forms of pigmentation like melasma, freckles, age spots, suntan, PIH, lentigines.
- Acne and acne marks
- Fine lines and wrinkles.
- For improving the tone and texture of dull and rough skin.
- To give skin overall healthy, hydrated and youthful glow.
- Laser toning: Laser Toning or Laser facial is skin treatment using a Q-switch laser. This treatment can lighten hyperpigmentation, even out skin texture, and leave skin glowing. At Kothiwala’sSkinEva clinic, Laser toning is done by world-class ALMA-Q laser, which utilizes cutting-edge technology to safely reveal clearer, brighter, healthier looking skin.
- Botox:Botox (Botulinum Toxin Type A), is a purified protein, which is administered through injection, to temporarily reduce the expression lines. It works by blocking the release of chemicals required for muscle contraction, enabling them to relax, smoothing the lines caused by expressions. It can also be used to enhance facial features like lifting the sagging brow, dimpling chin, Jaw contouring. The procedure has no downtime and the patient can resume work immediately. Following signs of aging are alleviated by Botox:
- Lifting sagging brow/to bring down the eyebrow
- Reduction in the appearance of a gummy smile
- Dimpling of chin
- For Jaw contouring
- For Nasal contouring
- Increase the length of the chin
- Dermal Fillers:Dermal Fillers are used in facial aesthetics to contour and add volume in areas where wrinkles and folds have appeared due to aging and are visible even when the face is at rest (static lines). Dermal fillers are of various types but are usually based on Hyaluronic Acid (HA) that naturally hydrates and lubricates our skin and joints. HA binds with water increasing hydration. Fillers have been used all over the world for several years now with great results and have an outstanding safety record. Popularly used to correct under-eye hollow, mid-facelift and lip enhancement.
Areas of the face in which Dermal fillers restore or add volume are:
- Undereye hollows (Tear trough)
- Mid facelift
- Brow enhancement
- Temporal fillers
- Forehead contouring
- Hand Rejuvenation
- Neck and Décolleté rejuvenation
Dermal fillers can be used to enhance following facial features:
- Lip enhancement and rejuvenation
- Cheekbone enhancement
- To define nose
- To add definition to chin and jaw
- Thread lift:A Thread lift is an effective non-surgical treatment to enhance the facial contours, tighten and lift the sagging skin. A Thread lift uses a 100% PDO (Polydioxanone) thread, a clinically proven biocompatible material that is widely used in medical suturing. Once introduced, the threads produce 3 effects in the skin:
- Instant Skin Lifting through mechanical effects.
- Cellular Renewal, through Collagen stimulation, and neovascularisation to improve skin texture, fine lines, and elasticity.
- Skin Tightening, by contracting fat tissue.
Following areas are treatable with a Thread lift:
- Forehead/Brow Lifting
- Upper and lower cheeks
- Nasolabial folds
- Marionette lines/Droopy Smile
- Microneedling treatment:Microneedling also known as collagen induction therapy (CIT) or percutaneous collagen induction (PCT), is a minimally invasive procedure that uses insertion of fine, short needles on “Dermaroller” or “Dermapen”, to rejuvenate your skin or scalp.
Here atDr.Kothiwala’sSkinEva Clinic, we use a state of an art, highly advanced version of Derma penthat is “DERMAPEN 4”. Let’s see how it offers an edge over other devices.
- It is the latest, original and most widely used Microneedling device worldwide.
- Exclusive are extensive features of the device make it very efficient and versatile to treat variety of skin conditions on all skin types.
- It has proven to give amazing results on skin and hair, which are even and long lasting.
- Unique needle tips are designed to make the treatment less painful, without compromising the efficacy.
- Derma pen 4 kit comes with special dermaceuticals, which when combined with the treatment enhance the results to manifold.
Microneedling is used as a treatment in following conditions:
- Skin rejuvenation
- Open pores
- Uneven skin tone
- Reduced skin elasticity
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Scar treatment
- Dark spots and various types of pigmentation
- Stretch marks
- Hair thinning and alopecia
- PRP Therapy:PRP or Platelet-rich plasma is a concentrate of platelet-rich protein that has been harvested from the patient’s own blood by using the centrifugation technique. Platelets are cells present in blood that help in tissue repair and growth of new cells. When skin is treated with PRP, it promotes tissue regeneration and collagen growth. This leads to skin tightening, smoothing and brightening. It improves the skin tone and texture and refines pore size and gives an overall healthy and rejuvenated look. Platelets are also known to be a reservoir of growth factors that stimulate tissue recovery by increasing blood flow and cytokines. When the scalp is treated with PRP, it enhances hair follicle function and improves hair density and quality and decreases hair fall.
Here atDr.Kothiwala’sSkinEva Clinic:
- PRP is combined with Microneedling for enhanced results.
- PRP is prepared by Remi’s PRP PLUS, the most advanced centrifuge machine, with inbuilt temperature control to avoid thermal damage of platelets in PRP.
- Pixel CO2 rejuvenation: Pixel CO2 Laser has been known to provide some of the most dramatic, age-defying results in the treatment of challenging skin imperfections including wrinkles, fine lines, photodamage, uneven skin tone skin laxity, scar treatment, skin tags, and benign tumor Pixel CO2 is highly versatile and precise and promises excellent results while minimizing unnecessary tissue damage. The Pixel CO2 laser is used to resurface the skin on the face and body and is an optimal solution for reducing the appearance of scars. By penetrating the skin with thermal microchannels, the healing process is jump-started, while surrounding tissues are left undisturbed.
Pixel CO2 provides a complete, minimally invasive solution for:
- Skin Tightening
- Skin Rejuvenation
- Skin Resurfacing
- Reduction in pore size
- Treatment of stretch marks
- Scar Remodelling
- Treatment of skin Tags and other benign lesions
Here atDr.Kothiwala’sSkinEva Clinic:
- We use, the world’s leading ALMA PIXEL CO2 laser for the treatment.
- It is the FDA approved, and GOLD STANDERD technology for scar rejuvenation
- It is highly versatile and can be used to treat variety of skin conditions
- It is suitable for treatment on Indian skin.
- The treatments are cost effective.
- Meso therapy:Mesotherapy or skin prick therapy, is a procedure in which nutrients like vitamins, enzymes, growth factors, antioxidants or hormones are directly delivered inside your skin with the help of needles. The word “meso” means middle, and this therapy is called so as it delivers these nutrients into middle layer of the skin (Mesoderm). It can also treat multiple skin conditions.
Following skin and hair conditions are addressed by mesotherapy:
- Skin rejuvenation and brightening
- Skin tightening
- Skin hydration
- Cellulite reduction
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Microdermabrasion: Microdermabrasion (MDA) or skin polishing is a non-surgical procedure offering safe and controlled skin abrasion. It skilfully removes outermost layer of dead skin revealing fresher and brighter looking skin. It is safe lunchtime procedure with no downtime.
Following are thebenefits of MDA
- Brightens complexion
- Refines pores
- Evens out skin tone
- Improves skin texture
- Improve the skin tanning
- Lighten marks and spots
- Help skincare products to absorb more and work better
- Dermal therapies: Dermal therapies include clean-ups and Medi-facials, HydraFacial and Oxygeneo facial. These are most effective, hygienic and medically sound facials. They deeply clean, exfoliate, rejuvenate and hydrate. Packed with nutrients and essential oils and customized for the individual skin type, these are designed to encourage healthy, glowing and vibrant skin. Highly recommended for acne-prone, dull, dehydrated and sun-tanned skin. For optimal results, one therapy should be taken every 3-4 weeks.
For more information on Anti-aging treatments or to inquire about other services please contact the front desk or visit drkothiwalaskineva.com