Nail surgery (Ingrown Nails)
Nail surgery (Ingrown Nails)
- More than 3.5 million men & women had cosmetic Botulinum injections in 2013
- Results typically last 3 to 6 months
- Patients can return to daily activities immediately after treatment
- In addition to wrinkles, Botulinum injectables can treat excessive sweating, neck bands & more
Always practice healthy nails
Some skin diseases can be identified by nail involvement and sometimes nail biopsy helps in diagnosis of nail as well as skin diseases. Color, thickness and feel of the nail say something. For ingrown toenail we perform nail surgery, which permanently cure this problem.
Nail surgeries is a minor surgical procedure involving removal of nail as a whole or part of it followed by removal of pathology like benign growth on nail bed or matrixectomy by electric cautery or chemical (phenolisation) as deemed necessary. Proximal nail fold pathologies sometimes don’t need removal of nail plate. The procedure is performed under local anaesthesia.
What are the common indications for nail surgery?
Common indications of nail surgery are:
- Ingrown nail: When all the home care fails, and the ingrown nails persists.
- Benign tumour: Pyogenic granuloma
- Fungal infection of nail: When the fungal infection won’t go away even after medical therapy.
What is an Ingrown nail?
Ingrown nail is a condition in which the corner or top of the nail grows into the flesh. This can cause lot of discomfort and pain. Sometimes redness and swelling may be seen around the ingrown nail. It may also lead to infectionespecially if you have conditions like diabetes. It generally occurs in the nail of the big toe. Common causes of ingrown nails are:
- Wearing tight fitting shoes, especially tight around big toe.
- Toenail or toe injury
- Cutting toenails too short
- If natural growth of nail is in a curve.
What is surgical treatment for ingrown toe nail?
Commonest surgical treatment for ingrown toe nail is called partial nail matrixectomy. It can be done by different method. At our clinic we do with help of 80% carbolic acid which is very successful with almost no recurrences.
How do I prepare for the Ingrown toe nail surgery?
Following should be done:
- Wear open toe footwear to accommodate the dressing after surgery.
- It is not advised to walk or drive post-surgery, so travel arrangements must be made by you to accordingly.
- Inform your doctor about any medications that you are taking on regular basis.
What does the Ingrown toe nail surgery Involve?
The affected toeis cleaned with an antiseptic solution and is injected with local anaesthetic to make the procedure comfortable for you. After the area gets numb, and the affected nail or a part of it is separated from the nail bed and removed. After this, an electrical cauterization may be done, or an acidic solution may be applied on the treated area to stop bleeding and prevent nail regrowth. A dressing is applied on the area.
What do I expect post-surgery?
You will be required to wait awhile post procedure to check whether the surgical site is bleeding or not. After this your can return to your home. You may feel some pain as the effect of the anaesthetic wears off. Following precautions must be taken:
- Post-surgery you do not have to drive or walk your way home.
- The dressing should not be removed by the patient.
- Once you reach home, rest with your foot elevated for few hours.
- It is advised to limit physical movement to minimum for few days post-surgery.
- Your doctor may prescribe antibiotics and painkillers, follow the instructions closely.
- Make sure to visit your doctor for redressing. Usually it is done few days after surgery.
- At any point of time if you have severe bleeding, discharge, swelling, severe pain or fever, contact your doctor immediately.
- You may be able to return to normal activities in few days, but any strenuous activity must be avoided for few weeks.
What are the risks of nail surgery?
- Toenail deformity: Toenails may grow back deformed or not grow at all.
- Infection: An infection may occur at site of surgery but is usually treatable with antibiotics.
- Rarely recurrence.
Why should I chose Dr. Kothiwala SkinEva Clinic for Ingrown Toe Nail Surgery?
- When a patient has undergone medical therapy and light therapy, but the results aren’t satisfactory.
- In the adult patients where the vitiligo has been stable for 1 year (no development of new patches or current patches have not expanded).
Who are not so good candidates for surgery?
- Unstable disease
- Patients who forms scars and keloid easily or have such history.
What are important things before vitiligo surgery
Detailed explanation of planning of surgery by Dr Sunil Kothiwala
Commonly perfomring surgery at clinic
Assured results and no recurrence
Full Post surgery support
For more information on Nail surgery (Ingrown Nails) or to inquire about other services please contact us on 7726938335.
Book An Appointment
Dr. Sunil Kothiwala
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist & Hair Transplant Surgeon
With more than a decade of experience including postgraduation from AIIMS & experience of SMS Hospital make,Dr. Sunil Kothiwala one of best dermatologist & cosmetologist in Jaipur. Renowned for delivering the highest level of quality care for patients in the fields of dermatology and cosmetology.