- More than 3.5 million men & women had cosmetic Botulinum injections in 2013
- Results typically last 3 to 6 months
- Patients can return to daily activities immediately after treatment
- In addition to wrinkles, Botulinum injectables can treat excessive sweating, neck bands & more
What is dandruff?
Dandruff also called seborrhea is a very common condition of scalp which is marked by itchy and flaky scalp. Thiscondition generally worsens in winters and rainy season. Dandruff is not contagious but can be chronic and embarrassing at times.
What is seborrheic dermatitis?
Seborrheic dermatitis is a inflammatory skin condition causes greasy white scaly ozzy plaques in scalp with redness and itching. Dandruff is a symptom of seborrheic dermatitis. It can develop at any age but more common in children and called cradle cap. Areas of body which have large number of oil producing glands are mostly involved. Mostly it involves scalp but in severe disease eyebrows, eyelashes, nasolabial fold, skin behind ear centre of chest and upper back can also be involved. Rarely underarm folf, groin area and scrotum can also be affected.
Why is it caused?
Exact cause is unknown. But It may be caused by a fungus “Malassezia”, which normally resides on adult scalp, it can cause dandruff in some people. There are various factors which make the scalp more prone to dandruff, they are:
- Seborrheic dermatitis: This condition may develop on scalp and other areas rich in oil glands like, eyebrows, back of ears, sides of nose, armpit, groins and breastbone. This is marked by, greasy, flaky red or yellow scales covering the skin.
- Not shampooing enough: If you do not wash your hair regularly, dirt and dead cells build up and can cause dandruff.
- Dry Scalp: If skin of the scalp is very dry, this can also promote increased formation of flakes and scabs.
- Contact dermatitis: Its basically a sensitivity to products that come in contact with your scalp like dyes, colours or hair care products, which may irritate the scalp leading to dandruff.
- Psoriasis : although psoriasis is different skin diseases but at initial stage it may present like dandruff only.
- Hormonal changes
What does dandruff or seborrheic dermatitis look like?
Most of us are familiar with this. It can present in following ways:
- Oily-looking flakes, falling from scalp on back and shoulders (Dandruff)
- Redness, greasy scaly oozy plaques
- Cuts in skin behind the ears.
- May form thick crusts on scalp sometimes.
- Scaling at skin between cheek and nose (nasolabial fold)
What are the common sites of seborrheic dermatitis
Infant: scalp, face, diaper area
Adult: Scalp, eyebrows, nasolabial folds, retroauricular area, centre of chest, upper back, underarms, groin & scrotum.
Is there any test for dandruff or seborrheic dermatitis?
No. the diagnosis is usually based on clinical examination.
What Are my treatment options?
Mild to moderate dandruff can almost always be controlled by over the counter anti dandruff shampoos. Here are your options:
- Pyrithione zinc shampoosThese contain the antibacterial and antifungal agent zinc pyrithione.
- Tar-based shampoos It slows how quickly skin cells on your scalp die and flake off.
- Shampoos containing salicylic acid These “scalp scrubs” help eliminate scale, but they may leave your scalp dry, leading to more flaking. Using a conditioner after shampooing can help relieve dryness.
- Selenium sulfide shampoos These shampoos slow your skin cells from dying and may also reduce malassezia.
- Ketoconazole shampoos (such as Nizoral). Ketoconazole is a broad-spectrum antifungal agent that may work when other shampoos fail. It’s available over the counter as well as by prescription.
When should I see a doctor?
When you have tried over the counter shampoos and home care and still dandruff bothers you, then you should see a doctor.
What is the home care regime for dandruff?
Following may help:
- Wash your hair regularly.
- Use a mild anti-dandruff shampoo.
- Avoid harsh hair products.
- Have a healthy diet and exercise regularly.
- Get a little sun every day.
- Try to keep stress levels low.
Why should I choose Dr Kothiwala SkinEva Clinic for dandruff treatment?
Dr Sunil Kothiwala is quite experienced in treating different severity of dandruff with his updated combined therapeutic protocols. Most of the patients go in remission for long and easily maintained with non medicated normal shampoo.
Why is dandruff worse in winter season?
People who have tendency of developing dandruff may have flare of prblem because of dry skin in winter season. Moreover hot water bath in winter season also causes flares.
Can dandruff be cured permanently ?
It is difficult to say. The exact cuase of dandruff is unknown and treament targets all possible factors involved in development of dandruff. But the course of dandruff is unpredictable so a doctor cant say that dandruff can be cured permanently.
For more information on Dandruff or to inquire about other services please contact us on 7669571405.
Book An Appointment
- Acne scarring
- Acanthosis Nigricans
- Bacterial Infection
- Dry skin
- Drug rash
- Genital diseases & STDs
- Herpes simplex
- Head lice
- Hirsuitism (unwanted hair)
- Hidradenitis Suppurativa
- Ichthyosis Vulgaris
- Insect bite reaction
- Lichen planus
- Moles (nevi)
- Molluscum Contagiosum
- Milia & skin cyst
- Nail diseases
- Open pores
- Pediatric dermatology
- Pityriasis Rosea
- Seborrheic Keratosis
- Skin tags
- Sweating (Hyperhydrosis)
- Varicose eczema
Dr. Sunil Kothiwala
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist & Hair Transplant Surgeon
With more than a decade of experience including postgraduation from AIIMS & experience of SMS Hospital make,Dr. Sunil Kothiwala one of best dermatologist & cosmetologist in Jaipur. Renowned for delivering the highest level of quality care for patients in the fields of dermatology and cosmetology.