- More than 3.5 million men & women had cosmetic Botulinum injections in 2013
- Results typically last 3 to 6 months
- Patients can return to daily activities immediately after treatment
- In addition to wrinkles, Botulinum injectables can treat excessive sweating, neck bands & more
Cast those shadows away
When skin around eyes appears darker than the surrounding skin it referred as dark circles. Dark circles are more commonly seen under the lower eyelids and can also be accompanied by eye bags. Dark circles can make us look tired and older than we are. Good news is that there are ways to improve the appearance of dark circles.
What are the various types of dark circles?
Dark circles can be classified into following types:
- Pigmented dark circles: These are caused due to darkening of skin around eyes due to various factors like improper lifestyle habits. In some cases, the skin around eyes is inherently dark.
- Vascular dark circles: Here the dark circles are formed due to dilation of blood vessels under the skin around eyes making them look dark.
- Structural dark circles: In this type, the area around eyes appears dark due to loss of collagen and fat around eyes and thinning of the skin, to give a sunken eye look. This type is best treated with help of dermal fillers.
Why are dark circles formed?
Following are the common causes of dark circles:
- Fatigue: Lack of sleep, oversleeping or staying up late past your usual sleeping time may lead to formation of dark circles. This can also cause thinning of skin around eyes and allowing your blood vessels to show. Fluid may also build up beneath your eyes due to lack of sleep and make your eyelids look puffy.
- Eye stain: Staring at laptop or mobile screen for long hours can cause eyes to strain and blood vessels around eyes to enlarge leading to formation of dark circles. Alternatively, if you have a refractive error and do not use the glasses prescribed to you regularly, this can also lead to formation of dark circles.
- Aging: As we age, the skin around our eyes becomes thinner due to loss of collagen and fat. This make the blood vessels more visible, causing the skin around eyes to appear dark.
- Allergies: Eye allergies and infection cause the skin to release histamines which dilate the blood vessels around eyes make them more visible. Constant rubbing of eyes also results in development of dark circles.
- Dehydration: When there is lack of water in the body, eyes appear sunken and skin around eyes looks very dull.
- Overexposure to sun: This can lead to overproduction of melanin in the skin around eyes and make them appear dark.
- Genetics: Dark circles can also be inherited as a trait and can be seen in early childhood.
- Medical conditions: Diseases like anaemia and thyroid disorders can accelerate the formation of dark circles.
What are the treatment modalities available for dark circles?
Though its difficult to get rid of dark circles completely, following treatment options aim to lighten the appearance of dark circles and make them less visible:
- Medical treatment: Your doctor will examine your skin and ask some questions to determine the cause of dark circles. Your prescription may include medications for local application like kojic acid and arbutin. Your doctor may also ask you to go through some blood tests to assess the underlying cause of dark circles.
- Chemical peeling: Chemical peeling is a treatment that increases the skin cell turnover, removing the outer layers of dead, dull, blemished and wrinkled skin to reveal underlying fresher and younger looking skin. Chemical peels are applied to the skin as gels on solutions. They cause the dead skin to slough off and eventually peel off. Removal of dead skin gives birth to new skin which has improved tone and texture. It can be safely performed on the skin around eyes.
- Laser toning: Laser Toning or Laser facial is skin treatment using a Q-switch laser. This treatment can lighten hyperpigmentation, even out skin texture, and leave skin glowing. At Kothiwala’s SkinEva clinic, Laser toning is done by world-class ALMA-Q laser, which utilizes cutting-edge technology to safely reveal clearer, brighter, healthier looking skin. It can be safely used to treat dark circles.
- Dermal fillers: Dermal Fillers are used in facial aesthetics to contour and add volume in areas where wrinkles and folds have appeared due to aging and are visible even when the face is at rest (static lines). Dermal fillers are of various types but are usually based on Hyaluronic Acid (HA) that naturally hydrates and lubricates our skin and joints. HA binds with water increasing hydration. Fillers have been used all over the world for several years now with great results and have an outstanding safety record. Popularly used to correct under-eye hollow, mid-facelift and lip enhancement.
Young- and healthy-looking skin is abundant in naturally occurring Hyaluronic Acid (HA). HA needs to be constantly replaced, but as we age, this replacement mechanism decreases, skin loses structure and volume, wrinkles and sagging occur. Dermal fillers are clinically proven to hydrate the skin and stimulate collagen production thus restoring and adding volume to the treated area.
It can improve the appearance of dark circles by filling the undereye hollows (tear trough), which give eyes s sunken and tired look.
- Mesotherapy: Mesotherapy or skin prick therapy, is a procedure in which nutrients like vitamins, enzymes, growth factors, antioxidants or hormones are directly delivered inside your skin with the help of needles. The word “meso” means middle, and this therapy is called so as it delivers these nutrients into middle layer of the skin (Mesoderm). It can also treat multiple skin conditions including dark circles. Mesotherapy delivers highly concentrated dose of nutrients at the treatment site making it very effective. These nutrients not only nourish, hydrate and rejuvenate the skin but also boosts collagen production, leading to skin tightening. This modality is also an effective way to treat dark circles.
Tips to deal with dark circles
Following can help to lighten your dark circles:
- Always have a regular sleeping schedule and have 6-7 hours of uninterrupted sleep daily.
- Keep the screen time with your mobile and laptop to minimum. If your work is such that it involves working with computers or laptop for long hours, then take few minutes break every hour to gives rest to eyes.
- Using cold compresses: When ever you feel strain in your eyes, you can wrap few ice cubes in a washcloth and put it on your eyes for few minutes. This helps the eye muscles to relax, shrinks the dilatated vessels and reduce puffiness around eyes.
- If you have puffy eyes, you can elevate your head by using some extra pillows and this can help reduce the puffiness around eyes.
- Get your eye check-up done and use glasses regularly if prescribed.
- Consume healthy diet rich in fresh fruits and vegetables and have 2-3 litres of water daily.
- Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen regularly and additionally use sunglasses if you are out in sun.
Why Should I choose Dr.Kothiwala’s SkinEva Clinic?
There are many reasons which give Dr.Kothiwala’s SkinEva Clinic an edge over other skin clinics:
- You will have a detailed consultation with the best dermatologist in Jaipur, Dr.Sunil Kothiwala.
- Your treatment regimen will be customised to your needs and convivence.
- All the treatments are conducted by Dr.Sunil Kothiwala. and his well-trained team, under strict guidelines and protocols to ensure your safety.
For more information on dark circles or to inquire about other services please contact the front desk or visit drkothiwalaskineva.com
Book An Appointment
- Acne scarring
- Acanthosis Nigricans
- Bacterial Infection
- Dry skin
- Drug rash
- Genital diseases & STDs
- Herpes simplex
- Head lice
- Hirsuitism (unwanted hair)
- Hidradenitis Suppurativa
- Ichthyosis Vulgaris
- Insect bite reaction
- Lichen planus
- Moles (nevi)
- Molluscum Contagiosum
- Milia & skin cyst
- Nail diseases
- Open pores
- Pediatric dermatology
- Pityriasis Rosea
- Seborrheic Keratosis
- Skin tags
- Sweating (Hyperhydrosis)
- Varicose eczema
Dr. Sunil Kothiwala
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist & Hair Transplant Surgeon
With more than a decade of experience including postgraduation from AIIMS & experience of SMS Hospital make,Dr. Sunil Kothiwala one of best dermatologist & cosmetologist in Jaipur. Renowned for delivering the highest level of quality care for patients in the fields of dermatology and cosmetology.