- More than 3.5 million men & women had cosmetic Botulinum injections in 2013
- Results typically last 3 to 6 months
- Patients can return to daily activities immediately after treatment
- In addition to wrinkles, Botulinum injectables can treat excessive sweating, neck bands & more
Chemical cautery is a procedure, which involves treatment of undesired or diseased tissue by causing denaturisation of tissue proteins with help of a cauterizing agent.
How does Chemical cautery work?
The chemical is strickly appliedon the treatment area by doctor. It cauterize the affected area which cleads to necrosis of the tissue. The wound healing mechanisms are then triggered, and the healthy tissue in the treatment area regenerates.
What are uses of Chemical cauteryin dermatology?
This procedure is used in treating following common conditions in dermatology:
- Warts, Skin tags
- Milia treatment
- Xanthelasma palpebrarum
- Molluscum contagiosm
- In grown Toe Nail Surgery
Chemical Cautery for warts
There are two common types of warts which can be treated with chemical cautery.
Verruca Plana (Plane wart): These are flat skin colored skin lesions. Chemical cautery is just touched on surface of lesion carefully not spreading beyond margin of lesion.
Verruca Vulgaris (Common warts): although this type of wart is removed by radio frequency ablation (RFA) but small or early lesions can be treated by chemical cautery also.
Chemical Cautery For Skin tags
Small skin tags can be treated by chemical cautery. The agent is applied to whole lesion specially at base of skin tag.
What are the commonly used cauterizing agents in dermatology?
- TCA (Trichloroacetic acid) Chemical Cautery: Doctor can use different concentrations (25%, 50%, 75 or 100%) of TCA for diffeent sites and type of lesions. Higher precentage of TCA indicate stronger effect of TCA.
- Carbolic Acid (Phenol) Chemical cautery
What does the chemical cautery treatment involve?
The treatment site is cleaned, and the cauterizing agent is applied on the lesion. You will experience a burning sensation during this step for few seconds. It can be applied with help of tooth pick, needle or ear bud or cotton sticks depending on type and size of lesion. Just after application white frosting appears that indicate onset of action of therapy. If burning sensation is not settling down in few minutes then normal saline gauze can be kept on site of application.
What happen after chemical cautery treatment?
That immediate white frosting disappears in few hours. Redness and mild swelling may persis for 24 hours. There is scab formation at site of application. Post cauterization scab usually fall off in 7-10 days. Patients need to keep chemical cautery wound clean to avoid secondary infection and may need to apply topical antibacterial cream. Healing post cauterization is usually uneventful and doesn’t leave any scar at site.
In which conditions should chemical cautery not be performed?
In following conditions, chemical cautery should not be performed:
- If size of lesion is very large.
- There is an active infection at the treatment site.
- If you have keloidal tendency.
What are the adverse effects of this procedure?
These effects are temporary and fade away in a day or two. Following effects have been noted post procedure:
- Burning sensation
- Rarely secondary infection if wound is not cleaned properly.
Why Should I choose Dr.Kothiwala’s SkinEva Clinic?
There are many reasons which give Dr.Kothiwala’s SkinEva Clinic an edge over other skin clinics:
- You will have a detailed consultation with the best dermatologist in Jaipur, Dr.Sunil Kothiwala.
- Your treatment regimen will be customised to your needs and convivence.
- All the treatments are conducted by Dr.Sunil Kothiwala. and his well-trained team, under strict guidelines and protocols to ensure your safety.
- Ensured results of chemical cautery treatment
- Personalized post procedure care
- One session is complementary with one session
For more information on Chemical Cautery or to inquire about other services please contact us on 7726938335.
Book An Appointment
Dr. Sunil Kothiwala
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist & Hair Transplant Surgeon
With more than a decade of experience including postgraduation from AIIMS & experience of SMS Hospital make,Dr. Sunil Kothiwala one of best dermatologist & cosmetologist in Jaipur. Renowned for delivering the highest level of quality care for patients in the fields of dermatology and cosmetology.