Excimer laser for vitiligo
- More than 3.5 million men & women had cosmetic Botulinum injections in 2013
- Results typically last 3 to 6 months
- Patients can return to daily activities immediately after treatment
- In addition to wrinkles, Botulinum injectables can treat excessive sweating, neck bands & more
Excimer lightis a form of targeted phototherapy that delivers a specific wavelength (308 nm) of ultraviolet B (UVB) radiation using an excimer laser or an excimer lamp.It is useful in various treatments in skin disorders.It is a pain free treatment with no downtime.
What are the indications of Excimer laser treatment?
Excimer laser treatment can be used in
- Vitiligo: localised, few lesions.
- Psoriasis: localised, palmoplanter, scalp psoriasis.
- Alopecia areata
- Atopic eczema
- Cutaneous T cell lymphoma
- Localised scleroderma
- Granuma annulare
How is Excimer laser used in dermatology treatments?
The UV light produced through a handheld excimer device is delivered directly to the localised vitiligo or psoriasis or other skin lesion. It delivers UVB radiation of wavelength 308 nm. The lesion is irradiated for a specific duration of time. It is very useful if lesions are localised and small. Excimer laser is often combined with creams like steroids and calcineurin inhibitors to enhance the clinical outcome.
Generally, patients are called for therapy 1-3 times a week. The radiation dose is calculated according to skin type, type of the lesion, site and treatment response. A positive response can be expected in 6-8 sessions. Number of sessions required depends on individual response, on an average 20-30 sessions may be required.
How is Excimer laser therapy better than Narrow band UVB therapy?
- As surrounding skin is not exposed to radiation, it is safer if patients have focal lesions.
- Different parameters can be used according to different areas.
- It is useful to treat difficult to reach areas like genitals and ears.
- Higher dose of radiation can be delivered, still reducing the cumulative dose, thus reducing the duration of treatment.
- As compared to conventional phototherapy chambers, it is more child friendly.
- Starting of treatment response is faster witjh excimer laser.
What are the side effects of Excimer laser therapy?
This therapy is generally well tolerated, with minimal side effects, but there can be rare adverse effects in certain cases.
- Blistering and burning
- Painful erythema
- Reactivation of Herpes Virus Infection
- Skin aging
- Increased risk of Skin cancer
Excimer Laser treatment in Jaipur
Dr. KothiwalaSkinEva Clinic offers state-of-the-art excimer laser treatment for psoriasis and vitiligopatients. Our clinic is equipped with Alma’s Excimerlaser which is best device of worldwide.
For more information on Excimer laser for vitiligo or to inquire about other services please contact the front desk or call at 7726938335
Book An Appointment
Dr. Sunil Kothiwala
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist & Hair Transplant Surgeon
With more than a decade of experience including postgraduation from AIIMS & experience of SMS Hospital make,Dr. Sunil Kothiwala one of best dermatologist & cosmetologist in Jaipur. Renowned for delivering the highest level of quality care for patients in the fields of dermatology and cosmetology.