- More than 3.5 million men & women had cosmetic Botulinum injections in 2013
- Results typically last 3 to 6 months
- Patients can return to daily activities immediately after treatment
- In addition to wrinkles, Botulinum injectables can treat excessive sweating, neck bands & more
What are freckles?
Freckles or Ephelides or brown spots are small, flat tan coloured, 1-2 mm sizedspots seen on sun exposed areas of skin. They are harmless but may deteriorate the aesthetic appearance of the skin. Freckles are sensitive to UV rays and darken on sun exposure. They are more common in people with fair complexion and red hair. They may appear on skin as early as 1-2 years of age.
Why are freckles formed?
Freckles are produced by increase in pigment melanin (a pigment that gives colour to skin, hair and eyes) and increase in pigment producing cells called melanocytes. Freckles result from combination of genetic predisposition and sun exposure.
What are the sites of freckles?
Freckles develop on sun exposed sites. Face is most common site. Nose and cheeks are commest site on face. Sometimes freckles may develop on arms, hands or V area of neck.
What is the difference between Freckles, Lentigines and moles?
Following are differentiating features of freckles lentigines and moles:
|1||Age of onset||Early childhood as early as 1-2 years.
Fade with age
|Middle age, common after 50 years.
Accumulate with age
|From birth till adolescence.|
|2||Skin Type||Commonly seen in people with fair complexion and red/blonde hair and blue eyes.Caucasians, Asians, skin type I-II.||Caucasians, Asians, skin type I-III.||More common in fair skin|
|3||Areas affected||Sun exposed areas, Face neck, arms, chest||Sun exposed areas, face, hands, forearms, chest, back and shin.||Anywhere in body|
|4||Size||1-2mm||Larger then freckles||Less than 6mm|
|5||Borders||Irregular/well defined||well defined||well defined|
|6||Colour/appearance||Red to light brown, flat||Light yellow to dark brown, flat||Brown/black, Raised/Flat|
|7||Duration||Fade with age||Accumulate with age||Stays same, may disappear over time|
|8||Sun exposure||Become prominent with sun exposure (summers) and fade as exposure decreases (winters)||Remain stable irrespective of sun exposure and season.||Remain stable irrespective of sun exposure and season.|
|9||Cause||Genetic||Environmental||Skin growth in clusters|
|10||Number of melanocytes||More||1-2 times more||Normal|
Are Freckles harmful or bad?
Freckles are harmless, but they indicate possibility of sun damage to skin. As such they do not cause any problem but cosmetically they can be unacceptable. Main reason behind getting treatment also cosmetic concern.
Can freckle turn into cancer?
Very rarely freckles or sometimes other skin lesions may look like freckle in initial stage so if you notice any peculiar looking freckle or change in appearance of a freckle like lesion, you should see a doctor as rarely freckles do develop into skin cancer. You should see a doctor if the lesion:
- Changes shape
- Looks different from surrounding freckles
Are freckles attractive or beautiful ?
Most of the times they are cosmetic concern so people want to get rid of freckles. But in recent trends sometimes if they are present in veru few number and person have fair skin then it may look attractive and beautiful- so enjoy if they are fewer.
What is the treatment of freckles?
Following treatment options are available for freckles:
- Medical treatment: This is the backbone of treatment regimen for any type of pigmentation. Your doctor will examine your skin and lay out a treatment plan for you. Medical treatment may involve one or more of the following according to your skin condition:
- Broad spectrum sunscreen: This will be prescribed by your doctor and will offer optimum coverage from UVA and UVB rays. It must be used strictly in the manner advised by your doctor to experience its beneficial effects.
- Freckle removal creams: there are some skin lightening creams which can be used to lighten these spots but many times freckles don’t or minimally respond to these creams. Patients with early few lesions can be benefitted with these creams.
- Oral medications for freckles: These include medicines like tyrosinase inhibitors and oral antioxidants or sometimes retinoids.They are not effective in all cases.
- Procedural treatment: Except sunscreen there is no effective medical treatment for freckles and in the end some procedure is require to remove freckles. These are the following procedures that can be used alone or in combination:
- Laser Facial: Laser Toning or Laser facial is most effective treatment for freckles using a Q-switch laser. This treatment can lighten hyperpigmentation, even out skin texture, and leave skin glowing. At Kothiwala’s SkinEva clinic, Laser toning is done by world-class ALMA-Q laser, which utilizes cutting-edge technology to safely reveal clearer, brighter, healthier looking skin. To read more about it https://drkothiwalaskineva.com/cosmetic-dermatologist/lasers-treatments/alma-q-laser-facial/
- Chemical peels:Chemical peeling is a treatment that increases the skin cell turnover, removing the outer layers of dead, dull, blemished and wrinkled skin to reveal underlying fresher and younger looking skin. It can be performed on face, neck, chest, back, hands and even arm and legs.Chemical peels are applied to the skin as gels on solutions. They cause the dead skin to slough off and eventually peel off. Removal of dead skin gives birth to new skin which has improved tone and texture. To read more about it https://drkothiwalaskineva.com/cosmetic-dermatologist/chemical-peels/
- IPL treatment/Photofacial: A Photofacial, or “Fotofacial,” is a procedure in which intense pulses of light are used to penetrate deep into the skin. Intense pulsed light is a powerful light source that is used for skin rejuvenation and has ability to penetrate the skin with minimal skin damage. IPL Photofacial treatments targets dark pigment, which lessens the appearance of dark spots.
- Carbon facial: A facial that comes all the way from Asia, Carbon facial, also known as charcoal facial or charcoal peel, is a revolutionary non-invasive laser treatment that leaves the skin brighter, softer, firmer and smoother. Carbon facial is preferred when patient have freckles with oily skin and open pores. Carbon facial targets both the concern simultaneously. For more details https://drkothiwalaskineva.com/cosmetic-dermatologist/medical-spa-facials/carbon-facial/
- CO2 Superficial resurfacing:Pixel CO2 Laser has been known to provide some of the most dramatic, age-defying results in the treatment of challenging skin imperfections. For freckles CO2 laser can be used with low power settings to get surperficial resurfacing. To read more about it https://drkothiwalaskineva.com/cosmetic-dermatologist/lasers-treatments/pixel-co2-laser-for-scars/
- Glutathione therapy: Glutathione is a very powerful antioxidant that protects the body by targeting and destroying reactive oxygen molecules and free radicals. Human body produces glutathione naturally. Apart from all its countless benefits, it was also discovered that glutathione is very safe and effective to brighten and even out skin tone. Glutathione is used in combination with Vitamin C and is administered intravenously. The reversal of oxidative cell damage boosts skin health and leads to even-toned skin.Glutathione speeds up cell turnover, replacing damaged cells with new cells giving your skin a bright, even, glowing tone. Glutathione inhibits the production of melanin (the pigment which gives skin its colour), resulting in brighter looking skin. https://drkothiwalaskineva.com/cosmetic-dermatologist/glutathione-therapy/
- Microdermabrasion: Microdermabrasion (MDA) or skin polishing is a non-surgical procedure offering safe and controlled skin abrasion. It skilfully removes outermost layer of dead skin revealing fresher and brighter looking skin. It is safe lunchtime procedure with no downtime. https://drkothiwalaskineva.com/cosmetic-dermatologist/medical-spa-facials/microdermabrasion/
- Dermal therapies: Dermal therapies include clean-ups and Medi-facials, HydraFacial and Oxygeneo facial. These are most effective, hygienic and medically sound facials. They deeply clean, exfoliate, rejuvenate and hydrate. Packed with nutrients and essential oils and customized for the individual skin type, these are designed to encourage healthy, glowing and vibrant skin. Highly recommended for acne-prone, dull, dehydrated and sun-tanned skin. For optimal results, one therapy should be taken every 3-4 weeks.https://drkothiwalaskineva.com/cosmetic-dermatologist/medical-spa-facials/
What are the precautions I can take to prevent having freckles?
Most effective way for freckles prevention is sun protection. Following may help you to reduce the appearance of freckles:
- Keep sun-exposure to minimum especially between 10 am to 4 pm.
- Use sun protective clothing, scarfs and wide brimmed hats to protect your skin from sun.
- Use a doctor prescribed broad spectrum sunscreen and repeat it every 3 hours, until after noon.
- Get an exfoliating treatment like, Chemical peel, Medifacial, Carbon facial or microdermabrasion once a month.
- Follow a regular and healthy exercise and diet schedule.
- Avoid self-medication at all costs.
Why Should I choose Dr.Kothiwala’s SkinEva Clinic for Freckle treatment?
There are many reasons which give Dr.Kothiwala’s SkinEva Clinic an edge over other skin clinics:
- You will have a detailed consultation with the best dermatologist in Jaipur, Dr.Sunil Kothiwala.
- Your treatment regimen will be customised to your needs and convivence.
- All the treatments are conducted by Dr.Sunil Kothiwala. and his well-trained team, under strict guidelines and protocols to ensure your safety.
- All possible treatments are available under one roof.
- Personalized Post procedure skin care support
For more information on Freckles or to inquire about other services please contact us on 7669571405.
Book An Appointment
- Acne scarring
- Acanthosis Nigricans
- Bacterial Infection
- Dry skin
- Drug rash
- Genital diseases & STDs
- Herpes simplex
- Head lice
- Hirsuitism (unwanted hair)
- Hidradenitis Suppurativa
- Ichthyosis Vulgaris
- Insect bite reaction
- Lichen planus
- Moles (nevi)
- Molluscum Contagiosum
- Milia & skin cyst
- Nail diseases
- Open pores
- Pediatric dermatology
- Pityriasis Rosea
- Seborrheic Keratosis
- Skin tags
- Sweating (Hyperhydrosis)
- Varicose eczema
Dr. Sunil Kothiwala
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist & Hair Transplant Surgeon
With more than a decade of experience including postgraduation from AIIMS & experience of SMS Hospital make,Dr. Sunil Kothiwala one of best dermatologist & cosmetologist in Jaipur. Renowned for delivering the highest level of quality care for patients in the fields of dermatology and cosmetology.