- More than 3.5 million men & women had cosmetic Botulinum injections in 2013
- Results typically last 3 to 6 months
- Patients can return to daily activities immediately after treatment
- In addition to wrinkles, Botulinum injectables can treat excessive sweating, neck bands & more
Dry skin also called as Xeroderma is a condition in which skin becomes excessively rough, dry and scaly. It becomes very frustrating sometimes and may hamper daily quality of life. Sometimes it is only symptom or sometimes it can present with other skin or systemic disease so it should not be ignored. At early stage it can be managed with home based daily skin care tips. In advanced stage it may require specific treatments.
What are the causes of dry skin?
Skin naturally secretes sebum that keep the skin lubricated and hydrated. Water also play important role in maintaing hydration and moisture in skin. When skin cannot make or replenish enough sebum, it becomes dry. Various causes of dry skin can be as follows:
- Cold and dry weather
- Exposure to harsh chemicals in soaps and other skin care products
- Excessive washing and cleaning of skin
- Not drinking enough water
- Skin conditions like, dermatitis, ichthyosis and psoriasis
- Excessive sun exposure
- Some medications for highblood pressure, high cholesterol, allergy and acne can also cause skin to dry.
- Inherited dry skin
What are the symptoms of dry skin ?
Dry skin may be alone manifestation of abobe mentioned cause or sometimes it is present with other type of skin lesions. It causes
- Feeling of roughness on touch
- Scaling or flaking
- Burning sensation
- Itching à excoriation marks à bleeding
- Uneven skin tone
When should I see a doctor for dry skin?
When you have tried all the solutions above and still have a dry skin that bothers you, its time to see a doctor. Also, if dry skin is accompanied by other symptoms like redness, itching or peeling of skin, or is interfering your sleep, you should consider visiting a doctor immediately. Doctor will help you in :
- Providing diagnosis of cause of dry skin
- More elaborated skin care tips according to your living habits
- Treatment beyond basic care if required
How to take care of dry skin at home?
Watch our video for daily basic skin care tips for dry skin : https://youtu.be/2r7e-eW0r0Y
Following Remedies for dry skin can be helpful in managing dry skin:
- Moisturiser for dry skin: Using a moisturizer regularly, preferably overnight is the easiest way to replenish moisture of the skin. In morning apply good amount of moisturizer just after taking bath. While choosing moisturizer look for following ingredients:
- Petrolatum- one of common and basic moisturizer
- Hyaluronic acid
- Colloidal oatmeal
- Pure aloe vera gel
- Shea butter
- Coconut oil
Avoid moisturizers with following ingredients in as they cause further drying:
- Artificialfragrances and colours
- Use gentle cleanser: Choosing a right cleanser is important as certain ingredients in the soaps and cleansers can cause skin dryness ad irritation. Gloves can be used while working with harsh cleansers like dish washers.Avoid soaps and cleansers with following ingredients:
- Alcohol, artificial fragrances, colours, and plastics.
- Sodium lauryl sulphate (SLS)
- Diethanolamine (DEA)
- Monoethanolamine (MEA)
- Triethanolamine (TEA)
- Bathing Habits: Always use warm water in place of hot water for bathing. Use lukewarrm water for bath. Keep the shower short. Just pat dry your skin. Lock in moisture by applying moisturizer immediately after taking bath.
- Use Humidifiers: Using humidifiers indoors can help relieve dry skin due to continuous use of ACs and heaters.
- Plenty of water intake
- Hands : Don’t wash your hands too frequently and always apply moisturizer after hand wash.
- Facewash for dry skin: Cleansing lotions should be preferred over facewash for dry face. SLS containing facewash may leave skin more dry.
- Exfoliate regularly: Exfoliation gently removes top layer of skin and encourages healthy skin. Exfoliate one or twice a week, with a home-based scrub made with natural ingredients like oatmeal. Splash water on skin before exfoliating it.
What are the treatment options for dry skin on face?
Your doctor will examine your skin, ask questions andmay also run some tests to diagnose the cause of dry skin and the prescribe treatment accordingly. Your treatment regime may include one or more of the following:
- Medical treatment: This entirely depends on the cause of dry skin. Your doctor may prescribe topical medications for the same according to your skin and severity of dry skin.
- Dermal therapies: Dermal therapies include clean-ups and Medi-facials, HydraFacial and Oxygeneo facial. These are most effective, hygienic and medically sound facials. They deeply clean, exfoliate, rejuvenate and hydrate. Packed with nutrients and essential oils and customized for the individual skin type, these are designed to encourage healthy, glowing and vibrant skin. Highly recommended for acne-prone, dull, dehydrated and sun-tanned skin. For optimal results, one therapy should be taken every 3-4 weeks.
- Meso therapy: Mesotherapy or skin prick therapy, is a procedure in which nutrients like vitamins, enzymes, growth factors, antioxidants or hormones are directly delivered inside your skin with the help of needles. The word “meso” means middle, and this therapy is called so as it delivers these nutrients into middle layer of the skin (Mesoderm). It can also treat multiple skin conditions.
Following skin conditions are addressed by mesotherapy:
- Skin hydration
- Skin rejuvenation and brightening
- Skin tightening
- Cellulite reduction
- Fine lines and wrinkles
If dry skin on face is associated with flacking, blackheads and uneven tone.
- Microdermabrasion: Microdermabrasion (MDA) or skin polishing is a non-surgical procedure offering safe and controlled skin abrasion. It skilfully removes outermost layer of dead skin revealing fresher and brighter looking skin. It is safe lunchtime procedure with no downtime.
Following are thebenefits of MDA
- Makes skin soft and smooth
- Brightens complexion
- Refines pores
- Evens out skin tone
- Improves skin texture
- Improve the skin tanning
- Lighten marks and spots
- Help skincare products to absorb more and work better
- Chemical peels: Chemical peeling is a treatment that increases the skin cell turnover, removing the outer layers of dead, dull, blemished and wrinkled skin to reveal underlying fresher and younger looking skin. It can be performed on face, neck, chest, back, hands and even arm and legs. Chemical peels are applied to the skin as gels on solutions. They cause the dead skin to slough off and eventually peel off. Removal of dead skin gives birth to new skin which has improved tone and texture. They increase cell turnover and keeps the skin soft and supple.
- Q.Which facewash is best for dry skin on face?
- A. Person with dry skin should avoid facewashes as it may worsen the dry skin. In place of facewash, cleansing lotions should be used. Excess facewash should be avoided.
- Q.What cream or lotion moisturizer is best for dry face?
- A. Dry skin individual should go for cream based moisturizers for face. If creams are making face little greasy then lotion can be used for day time and cream should be reserved for night time. Creams containing ceremides, fatty acids, squalene, hyaluronic acid are good moisturisers for face.
- Q.Does drinking water help dry skin?
- A. If your skin is dry because of lack of water intake or inadequate water intake then it will be dehydrated and eventually it will dry. Drinking atleast 8 glasses of water a day will help our body and skin to fulfil need of water for 24 hours in adequate manner.
- Q.Is vaseline good for dry skin?
- A. Vaseline is primarially made of petrolatum. Petrolatum is occlusive type of moisturiser and make a physical barrier on skin that prevent water loss. So vasline definitely will help in dry skin. But it is very greasy may be unsuitable for face and sometimes it can cause folliculitis or acniform eruption.
- Q.Is Coconut oil good for dry skin?
- A. Yes. Coconut oil work as basic moisturiser for dry skin. Although it will need to apply just after bath or soaking with wet cloth before applying coconut oil to improve hydration of skin.
- Q.Which fruits are good for dry skin?
- A. Fruits which are rich in water content will definitely help dry skin. Water rich fruits are watermelon, pineapple, pear, lettuce and many more. Specially in summer season they help in maintaining hydration. Other fruits which are rich in vitamin C, vitamin E and antioxidants can also be added to diet as they help in preventing from UV rays and ageing effect.
For more information on Dry Skin or to inquire about other services please contact us on 7726938335.
Book An Appointment
- Acne scarring
- Acanthosis Nigricans
- Bacterial Infection
- Dry skin
- Drug rash
- Genital diseases & STDs
- Herpes simplex
- Head lice
- Hirsuitism (unwanted hair)
- Hidradenitis Suppurativa
- Ichthyosis Vulgaris
- Insect bite reaction
- Lichen planus
- Moles (nevi)
- Molluscum Contagiosum
- Milia & skin cyst
- Nail diseases
- Open pores
- Pediatric dermatology
- Pityriasis Rosea
- Seborrheic Keratosis
- Skin tags
- Sweating (Hyperhydrosis)
- Varicose eczema
Dr. Sunil Kothiwala
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist & Hair Transplant Surgeon
With more than a decade of experience including postgraduation from AIIMS & experience of SMS Hospital make,Dr. Sunil Kothiwala one of best dermatologist & cosmetologist in Jaipur. Renowned for delivering the highest level of quality care for patients in the fields of dermatology and cosmetology.