- More than 3.5 million men & women had cosmetic Botulinum injections in 2013
- Results typically last 3 to 6 months
- Patients can return to daily activities immediately after treatment
- In addition to wrinkles, Botulinum injectables can treat excessive sweating, neck bands & more
What is PityriasisRosea?
PityriasisRosea (P. Rosea) is a harmless skin rash that resolves on its own in 6-8 weeks. In some people it may last longer and sometimes it may recur. Except itching the skin rash is asymptomatic. It is not contagious. Generally no specific treatment is required. But itching and extensive rash may need treatment to resolve it faster.
What is the cause of PityriasisRosea?
There is no definitive cause of P. Rosea discovered yet. It is well known that bacteria and fungus are not associated with its cause. It is also known that it is not a skin allergy. As most of the time P. Rosea follows a prodrome of fever, sore throat, cough, rhinitis (viral flu) some literature suggest towards viral etiology. Human herpes virus types 7,6,8 have been associated with it. It will need more research to establish a definitive cause.
What are symptoms of PityriasisRosea?
P. Rosea is more commonly occur in older children and young adult. It is slightly more common in female.
It may follow a prodrome of viral flu like symptoms. Features of upper respiratory tract infection like cough, rhinitis, body ache, headache or sometimes fever can present few days before appearing rash.
In 50 to 90% of cases the rash start with a single large red patch, which is called mother’s patch or herald patch. In next few days it increases in size and become scaly. In next 2-3 weeks there will be multiple smaller patches called daughter patches. They more commonly develop on chest, shoulders, neck, abdomen, and side of abdomen, back, and arms. Sometimes face and lower half of body can also have lesions. They are oval shaped and may form a pattern like “Christmas tree”. Scalp, palm and sole are not involved. Rash spread from center to periphery of body or top to down in few days.
New skin lesions appear in crops. It means they will appear suddenly in 10-15 in number then no lesions for next few days then again newer crops of lesions.
During resolving first redness will go, then scaling. They resolve with some pigmentory changes that merge in skin in coming months.
In children, area of involvement is different. Skin rash is also not typical as described above. It may involve face, scalp and body folds.
Oral mucosa can also have lesions in 25-30% of cases.
How do dermatologists diagnose PityriasisRosea?
Dermatologists diagnose P. Rosea clinically by taking history and examination of lesions. Skin scrapping can be done to see skin under microscope to rule out ringworm. Sometimes skin biopsy can be done to rule out other doubtful skin diseases like secondary syphilis.
Can PityriasisRosea resolve without treatment?
In most of people P. Roseaclears without any treatment. It may take 6-8 weeks to clear. Sometimes it may take longer time also.
When does PityriasisRosea need treatment?
If patient is having
- Moderate to severe intractable itching in skin rash
- Extensive skin rash
- Rash visible on exposed areas interfering with daily activities.
What is the treatment for PityriasisRosea?
- Patient or parent education
- Mid potent topical steroid cream to control itching as well as faster clearance of skin rash
- Oral antibiotic: short and single course for moderate and severe disease.
- Exposure to outdoor sunlight.
- For severe cases oral antiviral medicines can be used but results are not uniform.
- Phototherapy in extensive disease
- Treatment of post inflammatory pigmentory changes: Most of the time moisturizer and daily sun light exposure is sufficient and they resolve in few weeks. If patient is more concerns then dermatologist can prescribe some topical medicines.
What is the outcome of the treatment of PityriasisRosea?
Treatment helps in resolving itching and rash faster. Self-clearance may take long time. Sometimes after resolving skin rash there are pigmentation alteration which is less with treatment.
Why should you choose Dr. KothiwalaSkinEva Clinic for PityriasisRosea Treatment?
- Consultation with best dermatologist in Jaipur, Dr Sunil Kothiwala MD (AIIMS)
- Accurate diagnosis and to the point treatment
- Phototherapy treatment for P. Rosea is available if required.
For more information on Pityriasis Rosea or to inquire about other services please contact us on 7669571405.
Book An Appointment
- Acne scarring
- Acanthosis Nigricans
- Bacterial Infection
- Dry skin
- Drug rash
- Genital diseases & STDs
- Herpes simplex
- Head lice
- Hirsuitism (unwanted hair)
- Hidradenitis Suppurativa
- Ichthyosis Vulgaris
- Insect bite reaction
- Lichen planus
- Moles (nevi)
- Molluscum Contagiosum
- Milia & skin cyst
- Nail diseases
- Open pores
- Pediatric dermatology
- Pityriasis Rosea
- Seborrheic Keratosis
- Skin tags
- Sweating (Hyperhydrosis)
- Varicose eczema
Dr. Sunil Kothiwala
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist & Hair Transplant Surgeon
With more than a decade of experience including postgraduation from AIIMS & experience of SMS Hospital make,Dr. Sunil Kothiwala one of best dermatologist & cosmetologist in Jaipur. Renowned for delivering the highest level of quality care for patients in the fields of dermatology and cosmetology.