Intense pulse light
Intense pulse light
- More than 3.5 million men & women had cosmetic Botulinum injections in 2013
- Results typically last 3 to 6 months
- Patients can return to daily activities immediately after treatment
- In addition to wrinkles, Botulinum injectables can treat excessive sweating, neck bands & more
Intense pulse light (IPL) therapy is a non-invasive treatment which delivers broad spectrum light deep into the skin and has potential to treat a wide variety of skin issues like acne, rosacea, pigmentation and removal of unwanted hair.
What are the uses of IPL treatment?
IPL treatment can be useful in following conditions:
- Treatment of acne
- Treatment of rosacea
- Removal of unwanted hair
- To improve hyperpigmentation like age spots and sun damage
- Skin rejuvenation
- Treatment of varicose veins and broken blood vessels
- Treatment of birthmarks
- To improve the appearance of scars and stretch marks
- To soften fine lines and wrinkles
- Tattoo removal
How does IPL treatment work?
IPL treatment works by delivering a broad spectrum of light to your skin. This light reaches deep into the skin (till dermis) keeping the top layer of skin (epidermis) unharmed. There are multiple filters are available for using in IPL machine that help in delivering specific wavelengthto tissue. This light energy is absorbed by the skin and is converted to heat. The thermal energy thus generated performs the desired functions like treatment of various skin conditions like acne and rosacea and removal of unwanted hair. It also rejuvenates the skin by enhancing the collagen production, making your skin look firm and lifted.
Common uses of IPL Treatments
IPL treatment for acne
IPL is useful in acne treatment specially when patient is looking for faster clearance of active acne. With help of specific filter light of a defined wavelength deliverd to skin. It results in settling down of active acne and reduction in inflammation. For getting best results IPL treatment should be repeatedf atleast 2-3 times at interval of 2 weeks.
IPL treatment for rosacea
Rosacea is skin condition in which slight erythema and tiny pimples develop on face. Sometimes conventional treatment doesn’t work fully and some activity of disease persists. In such scenario IPL works as an add on therapy in rosacea. It helps in reducing redness as well as pimples. It need to be repeated at intervals for maintaining results.
IPL treatment for hair reduction
IPL can also be used for reducing unwanted hair. Although due to development of more effective LASERs for hair reduction IPL use has been decreased specially in dark skin. Efficacy of IPL in hair reduction is lesser than laser and more number of sessions required than laser.
IPL treatment for Melasma or other pigmentation
This is another common indication of IPL treatment. Freckles can be treated successfully with IPL in 1-2 sessions. In Melasma patients where other treatments have been used without much success IPL can make a difference.
IPL treatment for vascular birthmarks
Vascular birthmarks or red colored birthmarks can be treated by IPL. Final outcomes vary patient to patient and depends on nature of blood vessels involved in formation of birthmark. Laser treatment for vascular birthmarks like PDL laser is not readily available that makes IPL useful in such scenario.
What do I expect during the IPL treatment?
The treatment area is first cleansed. A cooling gel is applied prior to the procedure and you are asked to wear protective eye cover. Dermatologist will choose desired filtre according to skin condition. The handheld IPL hand piece is then used to deliver the light pulse to your skin. Whole area will be covered with some overlapping.
Is the IPL treatment painful?
You may feel a bit of stinging sensation during the procedure, but it is very much tolerable.
How much time does it take for the IPL treatment to complete?
It depends on the size of the treatment area, but on an average, it takes 30-40 minutes.
What do I expect after the IPL treatment?
Post procedure your skin may appear red and little swollen. This would subside on its own in 24 hours. You however can return to your daily activities right after the procedure.
What are the precautions to be taken after the procedure?
Following must be observed:
- Post procedure, you must prevent your skin from being exposed to sun. Always wear a doctor recommended sunscreen and repeat it at 3 hourly intervaltill after noon.
- It is advisable to use mild cleansers/face washes to avoid skin irritation.
- Avoid using hot water on the treatment area.
- Avoid using makeup for 24 hours on the treatment area.
- Moisturize the treatment area twice a day till the skin completely recovers.
- Do not go for any other facial procedure for 2-3 weeks following the procedure.
How many sessions would I need?
This again depends on the condition for which you are being treated. Generally multiple treatments are needed spaced a 15-30 days.
Are there any risks associated with the procedure?
Comapre to laser, IPL need more precautions during performing treatments. The handpiece should be in contact with skin fully otherwise it can lead to superficial delivery of light energy that can cause burn. If patient doesn’t follow post procedure care instructions sometimes hyperpigmentation changes can be observed.
In which conditions should IPL treatment be avoided?
In following conditions IPL treatment should be avoided:
- If you are pregnant or breast feeding
- If you skin is tanned by sun exposure, use of tanning beds or tanning creams.
- If you have been using retinoid-based skin creams or oral retinoids.
- If you have been using Aspirin or other blood thinning drugs, you may be asked to discontinue them for a while.
- If you have tendency to develop keloids
Why Should I choose Dr.Kothiwala’s SkinEva Clinic for IPL treatments?
- You will have a detailed consultation with the best dermatologist in Jaipur, Dr.Sunil Kothiwala.
- Selection of best IPL filter as per your skin concern
- Customized post procedure skin care
For more information on Intense pulse light or to inquire about other services please contact us on 7726938335.
Book An Appointment
Dr. Sunil Kothiwala
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist & Hair Transplant Surgeon
With more than a decade of experience including postgraduation from AIIMS & experience of SMS Hospital make,Dr. Sunil Kothiwala one of best dermatologist & cosmetologist in Jaipur. Renowned for delivering the highest level of quality care for patients in the fields of dermatology and cosmetology.