- More than 3.5 million men & women had cosmetic Botulinum injections in 2013
- Results typically last 3 to 6 months
- Patients can return to daily activities immediately after treatment
- In addition to wrinkles, Botulinum injectables can treat excessive sweating, neck bands & more
Acanthosis nigricans is a skin disease that is characterized by thicker and darker skin with velvety feeling of skin. Some body sites are commonly involved like neck and body folds. Patients think that washing and rubbing will clean it but they make it worse because of repeated friction. Most common association of acanthosis nigricans is obesity.
Acanthosis nigricans is usually harmless skin problem amd don’t spread to each other by contact. Rarely it may indicate some systemic illness so you should visit dermatologist for consultation.
- Insulin resistance & diabetes
- Family history
- Hormonal variations like PCOS, hypothyroidism
- Medications which can increase weight faster.
- Cancer – Gastrointestinal, lumphoma
Acanthosis Nigricans itself is harmless slowly growing skin problem but it is an alarming skin sign of emerging internal health issue.
Skin becomes thickened velvety with dark brown pigmentation. Sometimes it may be associated with itching, dryness, unusual odour, roughness of skin. At advanced stage it may be reason of multiple skin tags.
Friction in any form makes it more worse.
If acanthosis nigricans developed suddenly and progressing rapidly then you must dermatolgist immedietly. As it may be a sign of cancerous condition.
Where does acanthosis nigricans occur ?
Commonly involved sites are Neck, body folds (underarms, elbow joint, groin), knuckles. Advanced cases may have involvement of face (both sides of cheek and forehead, peri oral and peri orbital). Involvement of unusual sites like palms or internal organs like stomach indicates systemic illness.
Acanthosis nigricans may be associated with some internal illness so with help of some investigations all possible association should be ruled out.
Common investigations may include blood sugar and serum insulin levels. Female patients may be investigated for PCOD. Older patients may be investigated for cancerous disease.
Treatment for underlying factors
- Weight loss
- Treatment of diabetes or insulin resistence if present.
- Avoid medicines which may result in fast weight gain.
Treatment for skin symptoms of acanthosis nigricans
- Medical treatment to make skin smoothen and lighter.
- Laser treatment for skin thickening
- Chemical peel for skin lightening
- Treatment of skin tags
With all treatments it is possible that acanthosis nigricans does not improve but you should adapt some life style modification and minimal treatment so that it doesn’t worsen.
- Don’t rub the affected skin
- Don’t hide any systemic symptom to doctor
- Weight control
- Life style modification
- If family history of obesity or acanthosis nigricans present, start life style modification in advance
- At early stage it can be revered so stick to doctor’s advices for best results.
For more information on Acanthosis Nigricans or to inquire about other services please contact us on 7726938335.
Book An Appointment
- Acne scarring
- Acanthosis Nigricans
- Bacterial Infection
- Dry skin
- Drug rash
- Genital diseases & STDs
- Herpes simplex
- Head lice
- Hirsuitism (unwanted hair)
- Hidradenitis Suppurativa
- Ichthyosis Vulgaris
- Insect bite reaction
- Lichen planus
- Moles (nevi)
- Molluscum Contagiosum
- Milia & skin cyst
- Nail diseases
- Open pores
- Pediatric dermatology
- Pityriasis Rosea
- Seborrheic Keratosis
- Skin tags
- Sweating (Hyperhydrosis)
- Varicose eczema
Dr. Sunil Kothiwala
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist & Hair Transplant Surgeon
With more than a decade of experience including postgraduation from AIIMS & experience of SMS Hospital make,Dr. Sunil Kothiwala one of best dermatologist & cosmetologist in Jaipur. Renowned for delivering the highest level of quality care for patients in the fields of dermatology and cosmetology.