- More than 3.5 million men & women had cosmetic Botulinum injections in 2013
- Results typically last 3 to 6 months
- Patients can return to daily activities immediately after treatment
- In addition to wrinkles, Botulinum injectables can treat excessive sweating, neck bands & more
What are Comedones?
These are skin coloured, raised bumps on skin. They are found on oily, acne prone skin. They can be classified as:
- Open Comedones: Blackheads (collection of surface pigments makes them appear dark).
- Closed Comedones: Whiteheads (when hair follicles are completely blocked).
How do comedones form?
When pores on the skin or hair follicles are blocked by excess oil and dead skin, comedones are formed. The affected skin pores then bulge outwards, forming bumps.
Following factors can make the kin prone to develop comedones:
- Excess oil production under hormonal influence.
- Skin irritation due to contact with chemicals, dyes, oils etc.
- Rough exfoliation or squeezing pimples.
- Diet: Excessive sugar and dairy intake.
- Any factor which causes forceful stretcing of hair and breakage of hair which leads to arrest of hair inside skin. Example – frequent use of poorly working beard trimmer, post wax.
Is it important to treat comedones?
Yes. As the comedones if left untreated, can get infected and advance to next stage of acne ie. papules (small red tender bumps) or pustules (yellow bumps) or nodule and cysts. At this stage longer treatments are required. Sometimes scars and spots may be permanent. If you leave comedones without treated, they may result in large pores in skin because of surrounding skin damage due to long presence of keratinous material in skin. Most commonly these pores are present on cheeks.
How are Comedones treated?
The best way to treat comedones is to mechanically extract them. Which is called, “Comedone extraction”.
The process involves using a tool called as “Comedone extractor” to apply pressure around the Comedone, to release its contents. When done by trained& professional hands, can effectively treat and help you get rid of them instantly.
Other treatment is vacuum suction treatment for comedones. But it works for small superficial blackheads only.
We don’t recommend comedone extraction at home or parlour because if you have large deep comedones and content is not removed completely then it may get infection. Furthermore, proper sterization of comedone extractor is must.
Blackhead removal. Whitehead removal, Pimple popping treatment with comedone extraction is available at Dr Kothowala SkinEva Clinic in Vaishlai Nagar & Tonk Road Branch
What is USP of our clinic for comedone extraction?
It is one of the most commonly performing treatment for acne patients in our clinic. After single session of comedone extraction satisfaction rate is 100% as it decreases new acne and clean the face just after treatment. During treatment of acne, we charge only once for comedone extraction which include 2 full sessions and maintenance sessions till completion of acne treatment.
How much time is taken for comedone extraction ?
Usually it takes 30-45 minutes for moderate number of comedones. If comedones are numerous it may takes upto 1 hour. Closed comedones take mre time than open comedones.
Is there any precaution pre or post comedone extraction?
As such there is no precaution. Before coming to clinic you may avoid any kind of make up, foundation and cream applicaion on face. After procedure for 2-3 days you can avoid applying acne creams. Avoid harsh face washing.
Is there any side effect of comedone extractor?
No, there is no side effect of this treament. Mild redness and edema can persis for 2-3 hours which subsides on its own. No sunprotection is required. No formation of any pore or hole happens.
How often should Comedone extraction be performed?
It depends on how often you need them to keep your skin clear. Generally,if all comdones are black heads only one session may give complete clearance. If you have mixed type of comedones then minimum two sessins are required but in some cases of severe comedones more than two session can be required to get complete clearance.
Is it safe to do it myself at home or parlour?
Absolutely not. Here is why: If done by untrained hands, Comedone extraction can lead to:
- Dark spots
- Aggravation of acne
How can I prevent or reduce Comedone formation?
Keep on top of your at home skin care routine. This is how:
- Wash your face twice daily with mild soap or soap-free face wash.
- Keep your skin Hydrated.
- Use skin care and hair care products which are non-comedogenic.
- Go for a exfoliation procedure like Clean-up or Medifacial by trained expert once a month.
- Eat fresh fruits and vegetables, have 2-3 litres of water and exercise regularly.
- In case you develop Comedones or acne avoid self-medication and see a doctor.
Video Link from Youtube
For more information on Comedone Extraction treatment in Jaipur or to inquire about other services please contact us on 7726938335.
Book An Appointment
Dr. Sunil Kothiwala
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist & Hair Transplant Surgeon
With more than a decade of experience including postgraduation from AIIMS & experience of SMS Hospital make,Dr. Sunil Kothiwala one of best dermatologist & cosmetologist in Jaipur. Renowned for delivering the highest level of quality care for patients in the fields of dermatology and cosmetology.