Phototherapy for vitiligo, psoriasis
Phototherapy for vitiligo, psoriasis
- More than 3.5 million men & women had cosmetic Botulinum injections in 2013
- Results typically last 3 to 6 months
- Patients can return to daily activities immediately after treatment
- In addition to wrinkles, Botulinum injectables can treat excessive sweating, neck bands & more
What is phototherapy?
Phototherapy also known as light therapy, is a treatment modality in which skin is exposed to a particular wavelength of light for a certain period of time. Natural sunlight has been known to be beneficial in certain skin disorders for thousands of years, and it is the ultraviolet part of the radiation produced by the sun that is used in phototherapy, in particular the ultraviolet A (UVA) and ultraviolet B (UVB) wavelengths of light.
Phototherapy can also be used in combination with other topical (applied on the skin) therapies.Phototherapy can be given to a specific area of your body or to your entire body.
Whichconditions does Phototherapy treat?
Phototherapy can be part of your treatment regimen if you are affected by any of the following:
Common Skin Diseases in which phototherapy is useful
- Vitiligoor leukoderma
- Eczema, a condition that makes your skin red and itchy. Extensive or recalcitrant eczema.
- Lichen planus(extensive)
- Cutaneous T-cell lymphoma
- Itchy skin
What are the various modalities of light used in Phototherapy to treat skin conditions?
Photo therapy is deployed as part of treatment in many skin conditions. Here is how it helps:
- It decreases cell turn over.
- It relives the symptoms of itching and inflammation.
- It increases Vitamin D production.
- It helps the body to fight from infections.
What are the types of phototherapy?
There are two main types of phototherapy:
It can be given in two forms : Broadband UVB (has full spectrum of UVB light) and narrow band UVB (has small part of UVB spectrum) is used for treatment, though narrow band has been found to be more effective with more safety profile.Narrowband UVB phototherapy in Jaipur is available at Dr Kothiwala SkinEva Clinic. Most commonly narrowband UVB pototherpay is being used in psoriasis and vitiligo.
Psoralen + UVA (PUVA)
PUVA therapy uses UVA therapy with medicine psoralene (oral or topical). Psoralene makes skin more sensitive and receptive to UVA phototherapy or sun light. It is useful in Vitiligo, Cutaneous T Cell Lymphoma and Psoriasis.
Phototherapy from home
Patients wo have focal or fewer patches of skin disease then phototherapy can be done by hand held phototherapy device which usually emits NBUVB light. It is less effective than conentional phototherapy devices but useful for those who cant visit dermatologist’s clinic twice or thrice in week and have few lesins of skin disease. Home phototherapy is not routinely available in Jaipur. Dr. Kothiwala SkinEva Clinic provides devices for home pototherapy in Jaipur.
What are precautions before starting phototherapy?
- Inform doctor about pregnancy, breast feeding, family history of skin cancers, photosensitive disorders.
- Able to attend sessions twice or thrice in week.
- Use of goggles before each session
- Avoid unnecessary skin products before session
- Understand from clinic staff about treatment session and how to stand in chamber
- Ability to stand closed eyes for 10-15 minutes withouit support in closed chamber.
What may happen after phototherapy?
- After few sessions you may observe redness lasting few hours.
- Phototherapy can dry out your skin. Moisturize your skin once a day after phototherapy.
- After some more sessions you may have itching, burning sensation after phototherapy. These are all normal effects of this therapy and based on these symptoms upper dose of phototherapy is decided.
- It may take 12-24 sessions to show improvement and treatment may continue for long duration.
What are the risks associated with photo therapy?
- Dry skin or itching or headache
- Sunburns or blisters
- Photoaging/Premature aging
- Increased risk of skin cancer
These all risks are very rare. Dermatologist periodically assess your skin for caliberating dose of pototherapy.
For more information on Phototherapy for vitiligo, psoriasis or to inquire about other services please contact the front desk or call at 7726938335.
Book An Appointment
Dr. Sunil Kothiwala
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist & Hair Transplant Surgeon
With more than a decade of experience including postgraduation from AIIMS & experience of SMS Hospital make,Dr. Sunil Kothiwala one of best dermatologist & cosmetologist in Jaipur. Renowned for delivering the highest level of quality care for patients in the fields of dermatology and cosmetology.